Related Posts with Thumbnails

Friday, March 12, 2010

Salve Regina University -- A Mecca of Marvelous


Last week I had the pleasure of visiting Salve Regina University in Newport, Rhode Island.  I padded my visit with a few extra hours to tour some of the historic Newport "cottages", many of which are owned by the University. 


My first stop was the Isaac Bell House which is considered to be the best surviving example of shingle style architecture in the United States (which probably means the world).  It was designed by the architects McKim, Meade and White, who I previously wrote about here.  In that post you can see the shingling on my porch that was inspired by this house.  Unfortunately, the interior was not open for tour this time of year.




Unpainted wood shingles, simple window and trim details, and multiple porches are all characteristics of the Shingle style.


My porch inspiration.  Some of these "specialized" shingles can be easily cut from standard shingles.


These Asian-looking dragon (fish?) brackets are so beautiful.  Note the bamboo-style porch columns which also channel the Japanese influence that was popular in the late 19th century.  Walking around the Salve Regina campus one sees many other shingle style buildings.

click to see detail

Here is the entrance to Recreation Center.  I love the rows of "teeth" shingles between each shingle course on arch.  Often one row of such teeth shingles is used under the starting course -- it is dramatic to see six rows. 


These shingle style buildings clearly continue to inspire and guide development at Salve Regina.  Here are some pictures of the new Chapel under construction....






Walking around this "natural laboratory" it occurred to me that Salve Regina would be a perfect place to study historic preservation and architecture and, sure enough, they have a degree program in that field.




Not quite as fancy as the brickwork walls at Gyeongbokgung Palace but very similar.  I like the little heart carved in tree.  Tomorrow I'll post pictures of Vinland Estate, built in 1882 with interior design contributions from William Morris and Edward Burne-Jones.