Related Posts with Thumbnails

Thursday, November 25, 2010

Happy Thanksgiving! *

(* Dear foreign readers....A secular holiday with the only requirement that you have a long bountiful feast with family and friends, typically built around a roast turkey, and be thankful for the things you might take for granted the rest of the year.)


I apologize to everyone who's enjoyment of today's turkey I ruined by the last post!  I will state for the record that I will be eating turkey today.  I buy very expensive, special order turkeys that lived happy, carefree lives in rural Vermont, possibly roaming their neighborhoods and woods, flirting and making turkey-babies like my local bird above (see this post).  I am happy to pay double for the humane narrative, hope it is somewhat true, and recognize how fortunate I am that I can make such a financial choice.  Beccacowster came to her vegetarianism through her love of cows, other social action groups try to get Americans to choose "Meatless Mondays".  I eat meat about once a week and try to buy local/regional farm-raised animals rather than factory-grown produce (this is harder in America than it should be).  The best book I ever read about food and the choices we make was The Omnivore's Dilemma by Michael Pollan.....I think everyone should read this thoughtful book which celebrates food.