Related Posts with Thumbnails

Thursday, July 15, 2010

Red House Hallways....Welcome



Given that I have always wanted to see much more detail about Red House than I've been able to find in books or on-line, I am going to post lots of pictures of the interior.  Hopefully you won't find them all too boring!  Here are a set focusing on the incredible hallways of this house....Above is the front hallway with the fabulously painted door (detail below and also here) and bench.


This door makes me want to rush home and pick up a paintbrush....




To the right of the door is this easily constructed "boot closet".  The detail below shows the castle turret motif that is central to the stairwell (next post).  This would be so easy to do!




Standing facing the front door one would have this side hallway on your right.  The glass doors are inscribed with the signatures of William Morris's visitors to Red House.  What a great idea!


The back door is also painted.....




And to the right of this door are beautiful hand-painted stained glass windows which I believe were done by Edward Burne-Jones.


Wheel of Fortune modeled by Jane Morris....


another window modeled by Lizzie Siddal....




The third hallway is the kitchen wing....
 And here is another beautiful window painted with Morris's motto, Si je puis, or If I can.


 A plan of house I found on the web.....