Related Posts with Thumbnails

Saturday, March 5, 2011

Van Gogh's Starry Nights revisited


Dear WM fans, As always, thanks for the comments---they are like little dollops of excitement falling into my day.  Recently, an anonymous reader left the following comment on the post about Arthur Buxton's pie charts of Van Gogh paintings---"Where is Starry Night? Must have lots of blue and a good bit of yellow.  None of the pies match it!" 

Well, I initially thought the same thing.  And the comment reminded me of another very cool and very new resource on the web --- the Goggle Art Project.  You can "visit" famous museums all over the world and look at some of the most famous art in the world.  In fact, in many cases, you can get much closer to it than you could in the actual museum.  So I went the the MOMA in NYC to take a closer look at Starry Nights......
 

I zoomed here...

 then there... 



 I zoomed everywhere... 

(all click to enlarge)


My conclusion: The top left pie chart of the Buxton poster (a small fraction of that poster below) is Starry Nights.   Or is it the bottom right one below?   Argh, I can't decide.   Keep in mind the pie charts only plot the five most common colors (which of course begs the question of how the colors are defined.  Are they Pantone colors?).  At any rate, go have some fun at the museum!